Who's Responsible for the Driver Shortage

 So there's a pretty consistent question that I get the last few months, especially when I've had to come a long way to get the passenger. "Why aren't there more drivers?"

Some folks want to go down the rabbit hole of These Kids Today Just Don't Want To Work. But let me just share some numbers with you. They are my earnings for the past month in the platforms.


The top number for each week is Lyft, and the bottom one is Uber. From the numbers, you can see how good Friendsgiving was, and how meagre it's been for the last week. You can also see the relative efficiency in terms of rides per hour. In general, I go for short rides to stay local, and long rides while masked with windows ventilated in winter can be uncomfortable. I also really prefer to know the area that I'm driving in, as you hit fewer potholes and limit wear and tear on your car. I'm also really not a fan of burning through a lot of toll charges, even when you get reimbursed for them. To each their own.

But the big point that I want you to focus on is Tip Percentage. To explain the metric, it's the percentage of how much I made that week from tips.

It is, frankly, an embarrassment. 

I've been doing this work for 5 years and 20K-plus rides. I've always been highly rated, and have always provided a level of service that is, frankly, better than other drivers (or, at least, the ones I've taken a ride with). I deserve tips. 

I'm not the best driver for everyone, because the car isn't big, and it'd be silly to think that I was. But I'm good at this, and you are summoning a human being to provide you with immediate service and comfort. 

I've never taken a ride share as a passenger without tipping. Even when I didn't give the driver five stars.

If this was a cab, you'd tip.

It's not, so you -- yes, you, non-tipping public, and that means on average nine out of every 10 people who get in the car -- do not.

So if you really want to know who's responsible for the lack of drivers in your area?

Turn your phone on. Turn on your camera app. Flip the focus around. 

And say hello to the person responsible. Nine times out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Single moms have things to get done

 The ping comes from the Wal-Mart, a five minute ride on a weekend when I'm trying to rack up a bunch of short rides for a bonus, so not...