To The People Who Make Their Drivers Wait

Testify!
Unlike many rideshare drivers, I've also been a passenger. When I lived in CA, I used services routinely for airport runs, and I've also done so when the car is in the shop, or strange circumstances crop up.

So, um, I know what things are like from the other side. And how many text notices and notifications that passengers get when it's time to go. Also, how the vast majority of passengers are, bless them eternally, ready and waiting when I arrive. Why, there's even a map that shows you exactly how close I'm getting!

Which means that my patience level, especially when it's nice out and the pick up is somewhere safe... is really not great for people who think that when they hire a car and driver, they also hire an attendant and happy passive spectator to their life.

(Note: I get that sometimes life is just like that, and that days go sideways for any number of reasons, and cell phone networks and ride share platforms are not infallible. But, Um, Still. Be ready and waiting for the ride. It's not that hard. As witnessed by the vast majority of people who are, um, ready and waiting for the ride.)

So please note that if you:

> Take a good long time with your cigarette or vape pen outside of the car

> "Hold" the car by texting, calling, or talking to the driver to let them know you'll be out in X minutes, and also decide that leaving a door open for however long is just what happens regardless of air conditioning means the driver is just going to do that with their lives for however long you need

> Time your entrance to the car to be the last possible second before a cancellation can happen, because beating deadlines are an exciting way to live

> Time your text or call to tell the driver about some other pick up point in the last possible second before a cancellation can happen

> Decide that a driver can loop around to position the entrance door closer to you, rather than cross the street (especially in places where a U-turn is either illegal or time consuming)

> Add stops (without adding them to the navigation, naturally) where you purchase goods and services or fulfill various social needs

I'm still going to get you where you are going, with more or less the same standard of service that everyone else gets, because that's the way I'm wired.

But I will make (very) sure it's the last time you ever see me, if you catch my 3-star and under drift...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Single moms have things to get done

 The ping comes from the Wal-Mart, a five minute ride on a weekend when I'm trying to rack up a bunch of short rides for a bonus, so not...