See Through

The pick up comes from a bar as the Monday night football games are ending, so surge price is picking up a touch. My passengers are a pair of guys who have been enjoying themselves and have a 15-minute ride back to their hotel. One of the guys gets in the front seat, which isn't great in a pandemic, but it's warm enough out to get the windows down, and I'm triple-vaxxed and double-masked. I steel myself for a significant amount of time of drunk guy talk and get moving.

Three minutes into the ride, the passenger in the front seat isn't happy, as he can't find his phone. The guy in the back seat is paying for the ride and not thrilled with the extra time and expense, but a lost phone is downright debilitating in the modern age. I turn around and go back to the bar. When we get there, a friend of the drunk guy is outside waving his phone, but insists that drunk guy comes back into the bar for some reason. Two minutes later, he staggers out again and away we go. 

Since we're back at the bar and I'm facing a different direction, I head off towards the nearby highway to try to shave a minute or two off the ride. We're about to turn on the road when my front seat passenger has a fresh problem: he can't find his glasses. He thinks they are back in the bar.

I bail into a parking lot and start to execute the U-turn, then steal a glance at drunk guy... and he's wearing his glasses. 

Not even on his forehead. He's looking through them.

I ask him if his missing glasses are, well, the ones on his face.

Sheepishly, he realizes that this is, indeed, the case.

20K+ rides at this point in my rideshare career, folks.

And yet, you can still have experiences you've never had before...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Single moms have things to get done

 The ping comes from the Wal-Mart, a five minute ride on a weekend when I'm trying to rack up a bunch of short rides for a bonus, so not...