When the iPod speaks to you

My audio in the car is either radio (NPR, sports telecast) or an old-school iPod. The latter has about 8,000 songs on it, and I mostly just cycle through it on random shuffle play. 

The iPod is, I kid you not, sentient. 

Or at the very least, capable of great feats of coincidence.

The other night, I'm nearing the end of my shift. I'm tired, but the money hasn't been great and I *could* do another fare. If it's worthwhile. I'm ten minutes from home.

Surge price maps creep up. Good amounts. If I drive a little out of my way, I can lock in a price and get that final fare.

Then the iPod clicks over. Here's what came up. (Fleetwood Mac "Little Lies.")

Hmm. 

Uber *has* had this nasty little habit of only delivering fares of about half the shown surge price when you activate in the zone. If you turn on before you are in the zone, there's no guarantee your fare will have surge. And I'm out late enough so that I could easily get pulled a long way away.

Blink. And the surge price is gone.

Tell me lies, indeed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Single moms have things to get done

 The ping comes from the Wal-Mart, a five minute ride on a weekend when I'm trying to rack up a bunch of short rides for a bonus, so not...