What Every Passenger Should Do

Maybe Put On Pants
Every passenger? Yes, every single one. No exceptions. Let's get into them.

> Acknowledge your driver with a modicum of politeness. You don't need to get into a great heart to heart conversation with your driver, and there are plenty of days when I'm totally fine with not being fully "on" for everyone that gets into the car... but if you are the kind of person  who goes for the aggressive THANK YOU as a way of cutting off any possibility of conversation, you might want to know that you are projecting as Douchebag. If you say hello and then stare at your phone, I guarantee you that your driver will get the hint that you are busy and leave you alone.

> Double check your address. Every time a passenger types in the wrong address, it's a disaster, which is why I do my level best to confirm it with every passenger. It doesn't always happen that way, Because Life. Get it right and check. The time and money you save will be your own, but your driver doesn't want to take you to the wrong place, either.

> Check your privilege. As your driver, I'm going to take you to your destination. If you need me to do more than that, with possible asks including but not limited to speeding because you are late, adding in extra stops that you can't punch into the app because you haven't figured out how to do that or think it will cost you more money, playing music at an uncomfortable volume, and so on... well, that's another price level. One that neither of us can afford.

> Double-check your exit. I really don't want your stuff, and I also don't want to have to figure out some other drop off where I hand deliver your stuff back to you. Even for the fee that I make from that. It's not worth it to either of us.

> Consider tipping, if not actually doing it. The vast majority of rideshare passengers do not tip, and many seem to think that tipping is just outside of the realm of possibility. I've had rides where the passenger was in the car for an inordinate amount of time, had what seemed to be a great conversation, took extra service from baggage carrying, partaking from water, mints and cough drops, and so on... and still pretty much stiffed me.

Seriously, what the hell?

All tip money goes directly to the driver. If you are angry about a surge price, taking that out of the tip is kind of, well, misguided, since drivers are independent contractors, rather than the service who is administering the price. You are getting personal service, customized to your needs, from someone who is giving you transport in their own personal vehicle. Throw 'em a freaking dollar at least.

And yes, I do for every drive I take, and I take Lyft fairly often for rides to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Single moms have things to get done

 The ping comes from the Wal-Mart, a five minute ride on a weekend when I'm trying to rack up a bunch of short rides for a bonus, so not...