Single moms have things to get done

 The ping comes from the Wal-Mart, a five minute ride on a weekend when I'm trying to rack up a bunch of short rides for a bonus, so nothing out of the ordinary. It's a bright Sunday afternoon, and a text message comes in to note that my pick up will be at the main door. She's waiting with a child, impressed by the professionalism, and in the next five minutes I learn:

> She's widowed with five kids

> She's prone to racial profiling of Lyft drivers, not Uber, and can't believe the idea that it's the same labor pool

> She's a fortune teller with business cards for that (wonder if she saw the widowing coming)

> She wants me to be her on-call gypsy cab because Uber is too expensive

> She's prone to labeling things as ghetto, so, um, point two is starting to seem problematic

> She's disgusted with the Wal-Mart's selection and price of paint, which is the only thing she needed in there due to a crisis with a guy who is painting her house for here (and, third time's the charm, doesn't speak English, to her considerable annoyance), and

> She wants to know if I'm married because she's "in the market." On hearing of the length of my marriage, she wails, "All the good ones are taken!"

All in five minutes. I would have three-starred her, butI think I was too in awe of the hustle...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Single moms have things to get done

 The ping comes from the Wal-Mart, a five minute ride on a weekend when I'm trying to rack up a bunch of short rides for a bonus, so not...